Friday, January 05, 2007

Constitution? What's that?

You know, I had thought warrantless wiretapping was about as illegal an action as a sitting President could condone, but this is ridiculous.

"The executive branch shall construe subsection 404(c) of title 39, as enacted by subsection 1010(e) of [HR 6407], which provides for opening of an item of a class of mail otherwise sealed against inspection, in a manner consistent, to the maximum extent permissible, with the need to conduct searches in exigent circumstances."

I mean, I know our President probably doesn't have much more than two neurons connected by a spirochete inside that head of his, but does he really think executive powers let him rip up the Constitution?

May I turn your attention to the 4th Amendment? "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause...." Granted, I'm no expect in Constitutional Law (yet), but I would imagine mail falls under the category of "papers and effects."

Sigh. Let's hope the Democrats give him hell over this one. I'm not holding my breath though...

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... two neurons connected by a spirochete...

If you think you can use that phrase without my permission, you spent a little too much time in the fMRI's magnetic field.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home